Subject: Re: Bonaldo Giaiotti
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:52:36 -0400

Dear Listers,

I am very saddened by this news.  Coincidentally, earlier today I was listening to Bonaldo
Gaiotti as Giorgio in “I Puritani” on my iPod as I was undergoing outpatient treatment at a
Washington, D.C. hospital.  I find his singing absolutely sensational.  In particular, two of his
Act II numbers, “Cinta di fiori” (with chorus) and the duet “Il rival salvar tu dêi” (with
Riccardo/Sesto Bruscantini) are simply thrilling.  Such musicality !  Such “italianità” !  They
don’t make ‘em like that any more.

Indeed the entire CD is sensational : Pavarotti (Arturo), Freni (Elvira), Bruscantini
(Riccardo), Gaiotti, with Riccardo Muti conducting the “Orchestra Sinfonica e Coro di Roma
della RAI” (recorded in 1969).  I was so enchanted by Gaiotti and this performance of
“Puritani” that I listened to it again and again for most of the afternoon after leaving the
hospital.  I think this is my favorite “Puritani” recording, my second (close) favorite being
the La Scala Recording of 1953 with Callas and Di Stefano (Tullio Serafin conducting).

I actually look forward to these hospital visits for the opportunity they afford me to listen in
peace to my favorite opera recordings as I lie down for my (painless) treatments.  The staff
are very curious about what I am listening to.  At home there are always distractions such
as phone calls, etc.

Gaiotti repeated his performance as Giorgio in a later recording of “Puritani” with Alfredo
Krauss and Cristina Deutekom (cond. Michelangelo Veltri, Teatro Colón, Buenos Aires,
1972).

Cheers and best wishes,

Alain

Alain Letort