Subject: Re: Jones and Schmidt (was Very Warm for May (was Renee Fleming))
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:10:05 -0400

I've done "Celebration" also, and I think it's a remarkable, if very eccentric show. But I
agree - it definitely has a more raw "off-Broadway" feel to it. It shares a lot of "Hair's"
sense of zeitgeist - and ironically, Hair (which started off-Broadway) is a much more raw
show in all ways - but Hair was also much more direct and immediate in its message,
while Celebration is actually more of an adult cousin to The Fantasticks in terms of its
sense of theatricality and allegory, etc. I think audiences "got" what Hair was about, like it
or not, but not so much Celebration.

And indeed, Celebration had no "stars" - the closest would have been Susan Watson, who
played the original Kim McAfee in Bye, Bye Birdie - but she would become a slightly
bigger name only after Celebration, when she played the title role in the 1972 mega-
revival of No, No, Nanette. I tend to imagine if the original cast of The Fantasticks went
on to do Celebration (since the roles are allegorically comparable) - Jerry Orbach as
Potemkin, Rita Gardner as Angel, Kenneth Nelson as Orphan, Tom Jones as Rich...THAT
might have been an audience draw...

But oh, that wild, creative orchestration - including 3 percussionists - one third of the full
band (wonderful use of xylophone and vibes - listen to the percussion "rants" in the song
"Bored" for instance - really fun). I can't think of any other show of that era that sounds
like that one does. Very cool stuff.

And where else, especially pre-1970's, would you ever get to hear a line in a Broadway
show like "I haven't had an erection in 25 years - what do you think of that?" ;-)