Subject: Re: Jones and Schmidt (was Very Warm for May (was Renee Fleming))
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:54:34 +0000

"Celebration" is one of those shows that could have been a big hit
off-Broadway but was completely wrong for a Broadway house. All of their
shows require serendipity and a certain ineffable magic to succeed, and
the right casting--Jerry Orbach in the original Fantasticks, Mary Martin
and Robert Preston in "I Do! I Do!"

They also did "Grover's Corners," a musical version of "Our Town." As
far as I know, it only had one production near Chicago--it was supposed
to move following the try-out, but Mary Martin, who was to play the
Stage Manager, was diagnosed with cancer and had to drop out. The
producers were also spooked by the idea of a musical where everyone is
dead in the end. The rights reverted to the Wilder estate (which had
supposedly come to expect "Hello Dolly"-level royalties from any
musical).

I'm saddened by Schmidt's passing, but am finding great joy in
re-discovering some of their works.