Subject: Renee Fleming - Broadway Album
From: Bella Malis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Jun 2018 11:20:41 -0700

Way back in the late 1980s John McGlinn was to appear at the outdoor Grant Park
Concerts in Chicago, for a weekend of conducting the Grant Park Orchestra & Chorus.

Chicago being Chicago, we started the weekend of this appearance with a total weekend
of rain.  This venue is an outdoor bandshell which just wouldn’t work.

Well, newspapers made the announcement that the concert was being moved that
weekend from the bandshell to “The Auditorium” which is the beautiful, old
Louis Sullivan designed building that currently housed Roosevelt College.

Seats were freebies, and quickly filled up.  I was in the 10th row.  John McGlinn
was a charming conductor who told us stories about each item that was
being performed.  He told us the tale about a a New Jersey warehouse where
he found a trunk that had been stored there by Jerry Kern.  Inside was the arrangement
and the sheet music for “All The Things You Are.”  Soloists and complete chorus.  I guess
it just became his ………?

Needless to say….that was the final item of that concert.  Now considering that
“The Auditorium” is renowned for it’s “perfect acoustics", I cannot be more
emphatic about what a joy that was for all in attendance…..me included.
I think I will remember that concert forever.

***Bella