Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:56:22 -0400

Donald Kane wrote:

"I defy you to produce a single photo showing "pillars" on every level. Do you even know
what a pillar is?"

Yes, in fact, I do, have for some time.  From one dictionary: "A tall vertical structure of
stone, wood, or metal, used as a support for a building, or as an ornament or monument.
Synonyms: column, post, support, upright, baluster, pier, pile, pilaster, stanchion, prop,
newel."  I presume you are quibbling about my calling them "pillars" rather than "posts" or
"columns."  Now, if I had called them "caryatids," you might be able to object, as none of
the supports had ladies draped in togas.  But "pillar" is a perfectly acceptable descriptive
word for the uprights that supported the balconies of the Old Met.

As to your first point: the pillars/columns/posts/caryatids - call them what you want, it's all
the same thing (well, ok, not Caryatids, no women in togas) - can be seen in numerous
photos of the Old Met on Google Images.  There is also a clear view of the house with the
pillars on the Wikipedia page for "Old Met."  That they were there and partially obstructed
the view from many seats was attested to in the recent documentary "The Opera House," by
none other than former House Manager Alfred Hubay, who should know.

I really don't know why are you are even quibbling about this.  Perhaps to avoid dealing
with the physical impracticability, if not impossibility, of bringing the backstage facilities of
the Old Met up to an acceptable modern standard.

MDW