Subject: Re: Very Warm for May (was Renee Fleming)
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:11:49 +0000

Supposedly the show was well-reviewed in its Wilmington tryout--but Kern
had been busy in Hollywood and did not see the show until its second
night in Wilmington and hated the book Hammerstein had provided. He made
Hammerstein completely rewrite the book, removing several major
subplots, and what ended up premiering on Broadway was a weak, haphazard
work. (Unfortunately, the original book no longer exists).

"Heaven in My Arms" is also a notable song from the score.