Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:11:52 -0400

I defy you to produce a single photo showing "pillars" on every level.
Do you even know what a pillar is?  My comment on the bathroom
situation is that it was never a problem at the Met or Carnegie Hall
or Symphony Hall; I don't need to imagine that, because I have used
their facilities many times.  It is true that as time goes by the demand
for bathrooms seems steadily to increase, most likely the result of
changing dietary habits.

The point is not that we didn't need a new opera house, the point is
that ways of preserving the old one too might have been more fully
explored, and had it survived only a few years more, they could have
been.   The facade alone, in all its yellow brick glory might have
been retained with a towering skyscraper behind it.  If as wretched
a hole as the Stonewall Inn, (I loved gay bars, but not that one!)
can be regarded as a national monument, why not a single block-
front on old Broadway?

dtmk