Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 10 Jun 2018 21:54:53 -0400

Donald Levine wrote:

"Yes, there were probably major structural problems due to lack of maintenance and
construction of facilities in roof top areas that were never intended to support their weight,
but all of this could have been addressed."

Oh, really?  And how paid for, given that the company was underwater in dealing with the
costs of the new house?  It's easy to offer armchair solutions decades after the fact when
you don't have to deal with the practical details.  We've even had one person offer an expert
engineering assessment of the structural condition of the Old Met, based on what he
witnessed "every day" during the demolition!  (How long did he watch every day, one
wonders?)  Another insightful commentator claimed that there were no pillars blocking the
view from seats - in spite of the many photos showing those pillars on every level below the
balcony!  (Don't believe your lyin' eyes.)

I can't believe we are having yet ANOTHER go at this topic.  All the back and forth fails to
address the only issue that really matters and was the principal impetus for building a new
house: the appalling and antiquated conditions backstage.  These were impossible to
address, because there was no room around the building to expand the back-stage areas.
Nor was there space in the building for building adequate storage or rehearsal rooms or
public areas.  I have never heard anyone comment on the bathroom situation at the Old
Met, but given what I have seen and experienced in older venues like Carnegie Hall, and
Symphony Hall and Lyric Opera in Chicago, I can imagine that they were dreadful.

These discussions about saving the Old Met invariably represent a triumph of nostalgia over
common sense and reality.

MDW