Subject: Devia in Norma
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sun, 10 Jun 2018 18:57:40 +0000

something went wrong with my previous posting :

i stopped listening an watching after the Casta diva but I thought she
is still prettty impressive considering her age. Tenor Pollione looks
like a Botha but was a decent Pollione and says a lot nowadays. He at
least sounds better than gregory kunde in the role.
Here's the link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iolJpiHTZ5c

comment by a certain Sotzume :

Who is responsible for this hideous production? The male chorus dressed
in housewife drag wearing fright wigs? OMG...and the female chorus in
bedsheets like mummies with cannon breasts? My god, who looked at that
and said, "Oh yes, that's a wonderful idea.". And let's set this in
Africa...after all, they're Druids and Romans...which is stated in the
text of the libretto. But who cares about that. Opera directors are
always doing this and frankly, I never believe it does anything to
"modernize" or to make an old opera more "relevant". It normally just
looks foolish. How can you pay attention to the voices and the music
when you're distracted by the mishegas of the costumes and setting.
Truly one of the most unattractive operas I've ever seen. The only one
worse I can think of is a Puritani I saw years ago in Boston which
opened with a stage full of severed bloody heads hanging all over the
scrim in the back of the stage...ugh. Poor Bellini...his operas are just
not exciting stage wise...I don't mind a little effort to freshen up
things but this Norma is a total mess. Devia, at 70, does the best she
can do I suppose but just because you can still hit the notes doesn't
mean its pretty to listen to. It was labored and tough to get through
most of the time. And once again, dressed in a fake alligator gown with
a headdress that looked more atune to Punch and Judy than High Druid
Priestess was really too much to bear. Madonna mia....I feel badly for
her...to have this production as your last memory of your performances
of Norma.