Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:46:21 -0600

I started going to the old Met in the 50's when I was 10 .  My parents
bought me a season ticket to the family circle for Sat. nights and I would
go in the afternoon for orchestra standing room for 50 cents at the
matinee, go outside after that and buy a knish from a street vendor and
attend the evening performance.  I did this for eight years so I saw quite
a few performances and some amazing singers, too many to list here..  The
sound, at least to me. had a warmth that the new house does not, closer to
the Bayreuth sound. It was in any case just a magical place to me at my
young age not really knowing its insufficiencies.   I studied cello all
that time and was glad for those music stands up at the top although the
visual was horrible from there.  I always wondered why the sound from the
pit was so late after the conductor's downbeat but I guess it was do to the
sound getting way up to the family circle later.  I do miss the old house
but I love the new one also and getting to see some of the operas like Die
Frau which they could not justice to at the old house.
DonD

DonD

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.