Subject: Re: the real final night at the old Met 1966
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:28:49 -0400

It's not a "yes" or "no" answer, I think.

When the Met gave its last performance, and Stokowski, Albanese
and others pleaded to "Save the Met", I joined in the applause, and
certainly subsequent events, which include the fact that no memorial
to its existence even exists today, is a great sorrow to me.

But, as those same subsequent events disclosed, the building was in
danger of collapse, and the roof was in terrible disrepair. Apparently
it had been a danger to public safety for some time.It had to go!

The Met also needed the income from the property, and I became
convinced once the practical considerations surfaced that the right
decision had been made.

However, I have always felt the the Old House was ideally located
and Lincoln Center was not. Every subway in NYC had a station within
one block of Broadway and 40th Street, the Path trains and Port
Authority to New Jersey were a block away nd the Long Island Railroad
was a six block walk. It was a commuter's dream. Lincoln Center
became for many a commute's nightmare.

The acoustic at Lincoln Center is fine. Audio technological "advances"
that I believe are misused, is mainly the problem, I think. Spaciousness
has replaced fidelity, and voices are secondary, as is true of every
aspect of operatic production. That is a rant! ;-)

Bob