Re: RUMORS, SPECULATION AND NONSENSE ABOUT SAVING THE OLD MET

Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>

Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:25:55 +0000

text/plain

Apologies but your memory is not quite right. There were two bills in
the NY assembly, one that would have empowered the city to purchase the
opera house from the Met and lease it to a private foundation. The
second bill created a nonprofit corporation to buy and rebuild the old
Met, the corporation trustees to be named by Mayor Lindsay. This second
bill was approved by the state senate and house and signed by
Rockefeller on June 24, 1966. Lindsay named the trustees (including
Licia Albanese), but they decided in August that they could not continue
the fight in good faith for a number of reasons, including
- the need to raise the purchase price (estimated at $8-12 million) in
only five months
- the strength of the opposing forces
- costly lawsuits brought by the Met and by Keystone Associates
- a decision by the city that the corporation would be responsible for
taxes on the property

The bill creating the corporation was also ruled unconstitutional by two
state courts, decisions upheld by the State Court of Appeals at the end
of 1966. At that point there were really no options left for those who
opposed the destruction of the old house.

There was a concerted effort--both in the arts and among political
leaders--to save the house; it was just not as strong as the forces
trying to tear it down.