Subject: Re: AAP reports restoration soon Met says of Levine broadcasts to Sirius
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 May 2018 08:48:14 -0400

My own limited experience:  I have heard Barenboim conduct several times,
but in a complete Wagner opera just twice--Das Rheingold and Parsifal.  Both
times with his home orchestra, the Berlin Staatskapelle, and both times the
orchestral playing was absolutely glorious, perhaps most so in Das
Rheingold--astonishing given the conditions under which the Staatskapelle
played, in a packed RAH on what was the hottest day of a record-breaking hot
summer in London.  Their playing of Das Rheingold provided the most
visceral, intense experience I've had with this opera.  Barenboim's tempi
were (typically) not fast, but there was never loss of forward momentum and
always a feeling that the orchestra was totally alert to the music and
drama.  The pin-drop silence in the audience (~6000 strong!) for Das
Rheingold was telling.
DK