Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Prize
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 May 2018 17:51:01 -0400

Once again, that makes two of us.
We're on a roll! ;-)

But, it should be noted, that, there were Leider, Flagstad and
Nilsson, among the truly great, and then there were none!
Stemme has been about as good as 2018 can offer.

Varnay,  yes, a few years in the early fifties, then "over and out".
It went very quickly from "overwhelming" to "unlistenable".
The others named sustained spectacular levels of brilliance for most
of their long careers.

Bob