Subject: Re: Arena Flegrea (was Old fashioned prompters)
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 May 2018 19:54:42 -0500

Guelfi appeared in several early LOC seasons: Ashton, Escamillo, Marcello, Don Carlo (Forza), Barnaba, Alfio, Scarpia and Macbeth.

I believe he was a substitute for Tito Gobbi as Macbeth but I’m not certain.

His voice was huge, possibly the loudest male voice I’ve ever heard. But he had a problem with pitch which was all the more obvious because he was so loud.

There was a baritone named Guelfi with the old Chicago Opera (LOC predecessor) which disappeared shortly after WWII, and before I was old enough to have become an opera lover. At one time, doing a bit of research on opera in Chicago, I came across the name and wondered if it was the same person. Again I’m not sure of the facts but it could have been one Piero Guelfi. If anyone has any information I’m curious to learn more. Giangiacomo Guelfi was born in 1924 which means he would only have been in his early 20s during the last years of the Chicago Opera, so it’s probably Piero who was here.

There is also a current baritone named Carlo Guelfi who sang Amonasro here a few years back.

Kurt Youngmann

> On May 17, 2018, at 6:35 PM, Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Guelfi sang Macbeth with Bumbry in 1969 at Lyric Opera/Chicago.  To my best recollection, they were both wonderful.  He may have made other appearances with Lyric too, the Macbeth is just something I remember well.

“It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain.” - Mark Twain