Subject: Center for Contemporary Opera, NYC
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 May 2018 10:24:40 -0400

Forwarded message.
-----------------------
Please join us as we open our historic 35th season!

To Be Sung by Pascal Dusapin

Based on a short story by Gertrude Stein
May 17, 8:00pm
May 19, 8:00pm

In partnership with Irondale Center
85 South Oxford Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217

TICKETS

To Be Sung is an opera in one act. The libretto was adapted by the
composer from a short story by Gertrude Stein; “A Lyrical Opera Made By
Two (To Be Sung)". As M. Dusapin states, this is my tribute to American
literature”. He continues, “To Be Sung is an ambitious piece. “I wanted to
write something amniotic, extremely sensitive, that situates listening
within an almost metaphysical feeling of understanding through light, that
demands to be heard through the mystery of the eye.”

This is a rare opportunity to hear the music of French composer Pascal
Dusapin, whose "music tests mind and body" (New York Times). Sara Jobin
conducts with stage direction by Jorinde Keesmaat, CCO's Guest Director in
Residence. You may recall Ms. Keesmaat directed our internationally
acclaimed production of Louis Andriessen's Odysseus Women and Anais Nin
last season. The outstanding cast includes Kristina Bachrach, Danielle
Buonaiuto, Judith Skinner, and Anna Trombetta.

Sorrows of Frederick by Scott Wheeler
CCO Development Series

May 18, 8pm
Irondale Center

TICKETS

Sorrows of Frederick uses modern language to create a darkly comic opera
(in the sense that Don Giovanni is a “comic drama” dealing with evil and
death) based on the life of King Frederick the Great of Prussia. The young
prince Frederick composes music, plays the flute, writes poetry, and
corresponds with the great writer Voltaire, who sees in Frederick “the
philosopher prince of whom Plato dreamed.”

Scott Wheeler was one of four composers recently honored by the American
Academy of Arts and Letters for outstanding achievement in composition.
Keith Phares sings the title role and is supported by an excellent cast.
Mark Shapiro conducts and Beth Greenberg directs.

Backwards from Winter by Douglas Knehans
Libretto by Juanita Rockwell

May 25, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
Symphony Space, Leonard Nimoy Thalia Theater
2537 Broadway at 95th street, New York, NY 10025-6990
(212) 864-5400

TICKETS

Backwards from Winter is an hour long operatic monodrama exploring a
single woman’s reflection on a love relationship as seen through various
elemental filters of seasons, color, nature, emotion and memory and told
through live voice, live electronic/computer music and multiple video
streams. She traces the past year with her beloved, moving backwards
through time: from deep winter where she is in grief over his death, to
autumn, where she experiences the sharp pain of losing him in a storm,
through the summer’s heat of their passion, to the heart-opening birth of
their love in spring.

With a gift for extravagant color, beautiful melodic style, and engaging,
soulfully dramatic work, the music of award winning composer Douglas
Knehans has gained attention around the world. Direct from singing the
title role in Svitalana Azanova's "Momo" with the Royal Danish Opera,
soprano Anke Briegel makes her U.S debut. She is joined by electronic
cellist Jeffrey Krieger with stage direction by Jennifer Williams.

Let me also encourage you to check out the many great events offered
during the NY Opera Fest, a festival of opera presented by fellow members
of the NY Opera Alliance.

I look forward to seeing you soon and as always, thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

Jim Schaeffer