Subject: Re: Old fashioned prompters
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 May 2018 09:10:03 -0400

On Thu, 17 May 2018 05:10:06 -0400, Paul Ricchi wrote:

"In the Mexico City performance that GPP refers to, I recall that the
conspicuous promoter goes away in the last act and the performance suffers."
suffers."

Indeed.  If memory serves me correctly (and occasionally, it does), Callas ba
basically learned the role of Gilda on the plane trip to Mexico.  In such si
situations the prompter truly is the life line.

Of course, there is the story Robert Merrill shares in "Between Acts," about
blowing an entire act because of the prompter.  We shall not mention it fu
further in polite company.

p.