Subject: Re: Birgit Nilsson Prize
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 May 2018 20:39:24 +0200

Was just discussing this on a private thread.

There are singers who aren’t fully done justice by recordings, but I’ve never heard a greater discrepancy between what I’ve heard live vs. via the microphone (doesn’t matter if it’s a commercial recording or live broadcast) than Nina Stemme.

Live I hear a full, round sound with color and size, but firm and never squally. It seems that there are vibrations in her sound that cause distortion in even the latest technology microphones and produce a tremulous and unpleasant sound that doesn’t correlate to the live sound at all.

With Stemme live there is also the compelling persona that creates a real and deep interpretation which I’ve experienced as Senta, Brünnhilde, Elektra and Turandot - all fascinating, but all eluding  effective “HD” capture.

A real and unusual “you had to be there.”

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone