Subject: Re: Butterfly Broadcast from the Met on WQXR
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:41:53 -0500

>    Was kind of embarrassed to publicly state that I saw those "Chucky"
> movies.  My two nephews used to like it when I took them to see horror
> movies and I did.  The "puppet" in the current Met production of
> "Butterfly" actually makes me physically ill. I find it grotesque and
> simply unwatchable.

Different strokes for different folks.  I've never seen one of those
Chucky movies.  But in high school we had to study Chinese opera, Japanese
No plays, and most importantly, Bunraku. Thus, by the time my classmates
and I were 16 (this would be 1971), we were exposed to theater traditions.

When I saw the Met's Butterfly, it made perfect sense.  In fact, I came
away slightly pensive because I felt the puppeteers made the child much
more engaging and sympathetic than any child actor could ever accomplish.

If you're still disgusted by the puppet - and assuming that you want to
change your attitude rather than continue to enjoy being disgusted by the
puppet - perhaps the solution is to search "Bunraku" on YouTube (I get
30,000 hits) and learn something about this significant theater tradition.

blog:   Twitter: @kos2
Listowner: OPERA-L ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users
-- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions --

Modify your settings: