Subject: Flotow's Martha
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Mar 2018 17:29:43 -0500

Is this piece still performed? Or only in less prestigious houses? (I do wonder what a regie director could do with this piece, yikes!)

Seems to have been a staple, even in Italy, sung in Italian, in the 1930s-40s. Many Italian lyric and coloratura sopranos sang this piece then: Favero, Carosio, Albanese.

Also, some might argue because of his aria it is the tenor's opera.

I listened to part of the Cetra recording. Too bad the acid-voiced Elena Rizzieri is the lead, as the rest of the cast I think is excellent (Taglliavini, Tassinari) to pretty good (Tagliabue).

I do have the live recording from the Met with de los Angeles. She is lovely in the more lyrical sections, but she lacks the high lying brilliance one needs (I have the score, high Cs and Ds in the coloratura passages.) The stupid English translation doesn't help (a reference to Santa Claus?)

Modify your settings: