Subject: Re: Pinkerton.
From: Isaac Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Mar 2018 22:56:39 +0000

Hello to all,

I certainly do not judge the importance of a role by a note count, or by the stage time or character domination.

Butterfly is of course a story of the misunderstanding and plain ignorance of cultures, and of social status, as much as it is about the conflicts and confusions of sexual curiosity, lust and love.

The undeniable greatness of the story, in my opinion, transcends these  basic story lines, and deepens into what I consider to be great emotional turmoil, and theatre in its highest levels.  That Pinkerton is a major player in this drama is beyond argument, and a good to excellent tenor is required to carry it off.

Carlo Bergonzi, Jussi Bjoerling, and (though it might cause some to raise an eyebrow) Jan Peerce,  were the three great Pinkertons of my opera listening  experience.

Isaac Alan

Modify your settings: