Subject: Re: Parsifal - Nezet-Seguin, Levine, Gatti
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Mar 2018 11:17:49 -0500

It was in being more numinous, diaphanous, immaterial that Levine's 2008 Tristan was more
Parsifal like than his much earlier Parsifal, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  (Thank you, Marion
Rosenberg - Classical CD review - for two of those adjectives).  Gatti in 2013, for Rsoenberg,
restored the humanity of expression to Parsifal from what Levine, ersatz-Karajan, was like at
the Met, at doing Parsifal.  Perhaps so.  The singing and also the staging - and more than
usual rehearsal time - had to have been of considerable help along the way. It was a
magnificent Saturday from the Met, there can be no doubt about it.

Deborah Voigt, as her more Sieglinde self vocally in her still pre-Brunnhilde days (and also
before she tried singing Minnie, at least equally a voice-killer) made a lovely Isolde for the
Second and Third Acts.  Why this Tristan became so dreadfully split-screen, especially during
Act Three, and never released on commercial dvd is a real mystery to me.  Just as an aside,
my memory fails me, did Matti Salminen ever record Gurnemanz?

Modify your settings: