Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2018 21:21:32 -0500

Somewhere this thread got turned to Frieda Leider and 'Tristan', but
reverting to its title, one of my very favorite non-operatic vocal works is
Elgar's 'Gerontius'. Having once sung in the chorus for it (lucky for me
under Raymond Leppard, who is in the direct line of the performance
tradition) it's not hard to see why the piece failed at its premiere when
apparently it was so recently finished each section only had its own parts
-- that demon bit is indeed fiendishly difficult. In any event, I just
discovered a YouTube of the 'Sanctus, fortis' section with Jon Vickers and
Barbirolli, said to be from a 1957 performance in Rome.  He is quite
magnificent -- I cannot imagine that the part has been sung better before or
since.  And it surprises me a little that he did it, since Newman's poem is
very Catholic in a devotional way and Vickers was known to be a very
convicted Protestant.  Does anybody know if there is more of the performance

David Kubiak

Modify your settings: