Subject: Re: Pinkerton
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2018 16:35:03 -0600

    I saw Brandon Jovanovich as Pinkerton.  Obviously he made a tremendous impression.  He had the voice (which was somewhat more lyrical than it is now that he sings heavier stuff) and he really looked the part.  This was about eight years ago.

    Speaking of Butterfly, I decided to listen to my newly remastered CD version with Tebaldi/Bergonzi under Serafin.  Bergonzi sounds so young and his singing is ideal.  Tebaldi?  Her Butterfly was as Japanese  as lasagna, her interpretation very generalized ------- but the SOUND that she made!  For example, the phrases where she tells Pinkerton that she wants to go to HIS church are voiced with a beauty of sound that I've heard from no other soprano ever.  Yeah, she flats just a bit at the end of her entrance, but overall her voice sounds like the pitchers of cream that so many critics talked about.  It was an Italian voice in an Italian opera and for Tebaldi it was more than enough.  Will we ever hear a Butterfly with a voice like this again?   The only other soprano who comes nearest this is Leontyne Price (with Tucker).  Of course there are the Callas and Scotto recordings------- where each are aiming for totally different effects.  Surely all four of these great sopranos belong in the great Butterfly pantheon.

    I also think it a shame that RCA never saw fit to give Albanese and Peerce a complete Butterfly.  The extended excerpts from 1955 are good, but perhaps should have been recorded a few years earlier.