Subject: Re: Pinkerton
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:42:21 +0000

David and Les

I think you are both correct. Great singers make any role
important, and let's be clear, Pinkerton is certainly not
a comprimario assignment. But, like Salome and Elektra,
(not Norma in my opinion) Butterfly can and sometimes
does transcend the mediocrity with which she may be
surrounded.

David -

My favorite pairing live was Renata Scotto and Gianni Raimondi.
It was 1965-6, Met debut season for both, she as Cio Cio San, he
as Rodolfo earlier with Freni.

Raimondi is rarely discussed, and largely overlooked in the tenor
sweepstakes games we play, but he was a superb singer with a
wonderful stage presence. He should be much better known!

Bob