Subject: Re: Butterfly Broadcast from the Met on WQXR
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 23:55:49 -0500

How limiting - to have one's enjoyment dependent on repetitions of a single
performance.  John Alexander was a wonderful tenor, but his Pinkerton was
not the only one for me: there was Gigli, long before him, and Gedda with
Maria Callas, Di Stefano, Bergonzi, Konya in German, Kozlovsky in Russian,
and others.  But no, much as I agree with you about the magic of a tenor
role
too often dismissed or misunderstood,  BUTTERFLY wouldn't amount to much
without Butterfly.  I think the Humming chorus is, the heart of the opera,
and
should not be separated from the so called "Act Three".  IMO, Minghella must
have thought his production was destined for  Radio City Music Hall, with
the
Rockettes in obis.  The puppet is a tedious distraction.

dtmk