Subject: Re: Lotte Schone
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2018 01:14:51 -0500

Indeed, my comment needs some clarification.

I can't say how much they knew about genocides but they must have noticed
that their Jewish and other colleagues were massively disappearing while
others, who were racially acceptable to the regime, were taking their jobs.

After reading the enormously informative THE TWISTED MUSE by Michael Kater,
Karajan and Schwarzkopf do not appear to me to be so much the cases of
trying to stay employed as more the cases of professional greed and lofty
ambitions. Already early on, Schwarzkopf seized the opportunity to become a
Nazi Student leader of the women section in her college, which combined
with her indisputable talent but also carefully cultivated connections with
her patrons at high places, ensured her a singing career at the Deutch
Oper. Meanwhile she also joined the party. But apparently that was not good
enough for her and she famously behaved capriciously and arrogantly
(repeatedly coming late to rehearsals etc.) as she apparently preferred to
be transferred to Preussische Staatsoper, and so on and on. After reading
these pages about her, heavily documented as the rest of the book, she
strikes me as someone who shrewdly manipulated the Nazi political
circumstances to advance her rather unhealthy ambitions. I say "unhealthy"
especially given the horrific circumstances at the time (even if she didn't
know about genocides she must have seen masses of people, suddenly
unemployed and having to wear "yellow badges").

BTW, even though not documented as Kater's scholarly work but it's
revelatory nonetheless, Vishnevskaya's memoir shows how much the same
unconscionable behavior was typical for a number of singers in the Soviet
regime, "beating" the competition through disgusting political machinations
that often had horrific consequences for their victims.

Vesna