Subject: Re: Butterfly Broadcast from the Met on WQXR
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 23:45:47 -0500

ďI must take issue, however, with the opinion of some listers that the opera belongs
"entirely" to the soprano singing the title role, the implication being that the quality of the
male voices is irrelevant.Ē

I didnít see that opinion expressed in any posting.  What I did read was  Mr Rideoutís
statement that he believes Butterfly is one of the few operas where a great reading of the
title role can still make for a satisfying performance.   I happen to agree.  Such a statement
doesnít anywhere infer that the male roles are irrelevant, but that a performance can be
worth hearing even with subpar costars.  I feel the same way about the RAI Moffo film
where she is incandescent as Cio Cio San while her handsome Pinkerton screeches his way
through the role.  It happens.

On an entirely different note Iím surprised no one else had any comments onthe Met Prima
of Elektra.  Iím sure someone besides me was there and SOMEONE had to have tuned in,

Modify your settings: