Subject: Re: Butterfly Broadcast from the Met on WQXR
From: "Sklenar, Robert John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Mar 2018 00:15:34 +0000

As it happens, I caught Ms. Jaho's "un bel dě" on the car radio while running errands, and it was very fine indeed. I must take issue, however, with the opinion of some listers that the opera belongs "entirely" to the soprano singing the title role, the implication being that the quality of the male voices is irrelevant. If Pucccini had intended the male voices to be irrelevant to the overall effect of an opera, he would have written one without male voices; in fact, he did: "Suor Angelica." A successful performance of "Madama Butterfly" requires at least a minimally compentent tenor. This afternoon's performance was therefore a failure. Period full stop.

-Robert