Subject: Re: A Transgender Don Giovanni
From: "ls111553 ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 18:01:08 -0400

Will you please cut the “Sir or Madame” silliness. In my case is Sir, Mr.,
Señor or, as I prefer, no title. Luis will do, thank you.

I am firmly convinced that Tulsa Opera’s publicity campaign for the Don
Giovanni, seemingly based on the lead singer’s gender identity, is cheap,
sensationalistic and just plain wrong. I don’t care in how many languages
it is being cheered by the press, which doesn’t surprise me at all. If the
article can be trusted, the company is pretty much admitting that they
hired this person mostly in order to make “opera history” (a.k.a.
headlines), talent coming in as a second consideration:

“Her performance, which debuts in May 2019, will be the first time a trans
person has performed a principal role on an operatic stage in the U.S.,
according to Tulsa Opera's leadership.”

This even goes against the singer’s stated wishes:

“In one way, this is exciting. But in another way, I hope it’s not too
exciting. I just want to keep doing my job in how I’ve always done it…
People don’t really care about if people are gay in most of the Western
world, and I hope being trans is something like that as well”

That’s why I believe Tulsa Opera is seeking notoriety for the wrong reason.
If they hire singers because of their talent and suitability for the parts
they will play, their personal situations should neither be part of their
publicity nor there should be an effort to cover them up. The public will
eventually know and reach their own conclusions. They don’t need to be
“steered”. The closing statement, by the company’s CEO should have been the
company’s only answer to the press on this subject, but it comes after
everyone’s interest has been intentionally captured by the transgender
issue:
"If you have the talent, you need to be heard, and you need to be
represented."

I really don’t care if 300 years ago, audiences were flocking to the opera
just to hear how a castrated man could reach very high notes because of his
mutilation. This practice represents a dark and horrifying period in the
history of the art and no one in his right mind should point to it as a
"celebration of “diversity” or whatever. This was a freak show attitude
which, sadly, today’s attempt to “attract younger audiences” seems to
encourage.

Furthermore, your knee-jerk attack against anyone who disagrees with your
carved-in-stone set of “progressive” regulations would be laughable if it
were not a disturbing reminder of what people with your mindset would do if
they had any kind of power. Without knowing me, you call me "idiotic", you
“report” me to “management" because I dared to quote your post, you
discharge your pre-packaged load of opinionated rants including Trump,
Europe good, the U.S. bad, insults against old people who you sentence as
“bigots”, and, most facetious of all: you order people to stay home and not
dare to make any decisions you disapprove of.

As another lister remarked to me privately, a promoter of diversity will
not tolerate a diverse opinion.