Subject: Butterfly Broadcast from the Met on WQXR
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 21:33:34 +0000

Leaving everything else aside, since I have nothing good
to say about the rest, Ermonela Jaho was really very fine
as Cio Cio San. She has a wonderful top register and the
rest of the voice is much better than just ok.

No, she isn't Scotto, nor does she have the tonal opulence of
Leontyne Price or Tebaldi, but she was well worh the time I
spent listening to her. Madama Butterfly is one of the very few
operas that can be rewarding with nothing more than a fine
reading of the title role, and that is exactly what we got. She
sang in tune, mostly, in time, mostly, and she understood the
words and that dynamics are important.

I was rather impressed!

Bob