Subject: Re: New York Times article on Maestro Yannick Nézet-Séguin
From: Mark Bednar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2018 19:03:53 +0000

Conversely, it is a continuing sign that the NYTimes is cutting back on critical writing.
I enjoyed the gossipy behind-the-scenes story as much as anyone. But it is an assignment for a stringer who does not have to have any critical insight. Similarly, the NYT has been running a lot of interviews, also assignments that can be delegated to stringers. These are all fluff.

With all the musical activity that goes on in New York it is despicable that the Times can only publish two or three reviews a week (again, whatever you may think of their critical staff) of serious music.
MB