Subject: Vigilius Noria
From: Charles Mintzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 09:06:14 -0500

I had the pleasure of hearing this Lithuanian tenor in September 1969, that’s almost half a century ago. I was on a five-week tour of Central Asia (USSR (Moscow, Samarkand, Bukhara and Tashkent),Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Nepal and Iran). In Moscow, the launching city of the tour, the Bolshoi theater itself was closed for renovations, but the Bolshioi opera and dance companies played at the Palace of Congress, a huge 6,000 seat theater in the Kremlin itself, a theater on lines of Radio City in NYC. Rigoletto was the opera and Norieka was the Duke. The other members of the cast were not famous at all. I remember how good he was, even though they had several stand-alone 6-foot microphones across the front of the stage. Don Quixotte by Minkus was the ballet offering the next night, this time with the famous husband and wife duo of Vasiliev and Maximova, who were superb. I recall that the theater had an unusual feature; upon entrance you took escalators up to the top floor, about 6 flights up, and they had a huge room for coat checking, with about one woman in charge of about 30 coats; not the most efficient, but it certainly created employment for hundreds of persons.
Charles Mintzer
Modify your settings: