Subject: Re: A Transgender Don Giovanni
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Mar 2018 04:45:52 -0500

Dear Sir or Madame,
     What sparked my interest was your comment obviously objecting to
transgender people. You took my lead sentence and expanded it with  your dark
commentary. The fact that you can repeat the shit of Donald Trump on this list and
feel comfortable that nobody will object is a commentary on this list and the
average age here. But you should anticipate, when you do that, that some might
object. For me, it is mind-spinningly hilarious that someone on an opera discussion
list hates transgenders when these issues have been central to the art for the
entire long history of opera.  You would have had to work hard to have missed
that.
      I posted this without commentary not to poke a response from haters. I spend
time every day looking at the music press in Europe. Every country has their music
and opera magazines and the print press on the continent still published regular
reviews and commentary on opera. The internet is also full of news and
information about opera but, normally, there is very little reporting which comes
from America. In Europe opera is very much a living art and therefore, the
adventurous decision of Tulsa Opera to have a transgender Don was surprising
news from a part of the world seldom heard from.  There were reports of this that
I saw in Spanish, French and German. In no case were these critical of the decision
because, in Europe, transgenders are no longer though to be despicable sexual
deviants. The general European reaction, when Trump barred transgenders in the
military, was one of surprise and for Europeans to hear that an American opera
company was taking this step was reported to help readers understand that not
everyone in America was marching backward.
      An opera company anywhere should understand that people under 60 are their
target audience and that old bigots should not be making artistic decisions or
controlling repertory, etc. They can stay at home and post on Opera-l.
Frank Cadenhead
Opera! Celebrating Transgender Freedom for Over Five Hundred Years!

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 22:14:07 +0000, ls111553 . <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Post it as yours? It was my post, with my name on it. If quoting you means
>"sexual issues” to you, looks like you have some stuff to work out.
>
>On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>> To the management:
>> How in heck is it tolerable that some idiotic lister can change the text
>> of my
>> original post and seemingly post it again as mine?  If he or she has
>> sexual issues
>> maybe he or she should be on another list...
>> Frank Cadenhead
>>
>> On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 20:59:42 +0000, ls111553 . <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
>> >Tulsa Opera is now in the news around the world... for the wrong reason.

make-