Subject: Re: Peter Grimes
From: John Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 22:59:56 -0500

I don't think you missed anything.  It is one of the saddest pieces of theatre ever written.
And yet it is one of my favorite operas.  I can t think of many other operas that so fully create
a community of characters. . .each unique in their own ways.  Auntie, Mrs. Sedley, Ned
Keene, Bob Boles. . .so many interesting folks.   I would call it epic rather than rambling.  And
for me Ellen is the tragic character. . .I also think that Balstrode is either her brother or
brother-in-law.  I love the music . . . whether the interludes or the thrilling choruses.  I am
depressed when it is over, but I feel like I have lived somewhere else for a few hours.  If you
can, see the Peter Pears video conducted by  Britten.   It is one of my favorite opera videos.