Subject: Re: Met Elektra last night--any reports?
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 20:14:37 -0500

Iím waiting for my ride after 12 hrs at JFK so this will be brief.

It was a fairly spectacular night.  The production has a few things Iím not wild about but the
cast, top to bottom was amazing.  Instead of an opening night everyone appeared to be in
the middle of a long run, living in their roles with conviction.

Maestro Sťguin led a bombastic, letís hurl this beast into space kind of performance.  The
orchestra responded in kind.  He will need to reign it in at certain climaxes as he nearly
overpowered his cast on several occasions, though just barely.

Christine Goerke delivered the goods and had what can only be described as a triumph.
Even if voice throughout the ranges from lowest notes to highest were sung never growled
or screeched. I donít like bringing up singers sizes but it cannot go umentioned sheís
notably smaller in size and looks and moves terrifically, then again she always has. The
opening monologue was terrifying in the best way possible and her recognition scene
exquisitely sung and gut wrenching in its emotion.

Iíve no more time and will write more when I can,  but she was not alone in the greatness
of singing department.  I e been replaying the evening all day and it was absolutely worth
putting up with todayís travel nightmare!

Modify your settings: