Subject: Re: Peter Grimes
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 20:09:03 -0500

She tells Peter that their dreams have failed.

Yes, in the 'Broidery' aria she is somewhat ambiguous but when the town folk
threaten to turn on her, she turns on Peter and in a way all is blamed on
women needing to comfort men (gross compression).

When Balstrode tells Peter to kill himself, Ellen is not happy but makes no
effort to stop it.

In a way, Ellen's only future in that borough is to turn from Peter, since
it comes down to a him versus them thing.  One of the biggest tragedies is
that the two people who most supported Peter against the town were the two
who ultimately sent him to die.

As I said, some of the music is fabulous and the use of the chorus to
represent to opposing side (the borough) was brilliant.  But when even the
better angels in the society become blind to humanity, when the outsider /
other is sent to his death...well, I understand opera can be tragic (I
talked with someone after the performance and he didn't see anything
different in substance between PG and Tosca) but I think the bleakness and
inhumanity of PG, along with what I consider to be an uneven libretto with
passages that don't really move the story forward, it's a tough opera to
embrace.

[I was told that half the audience left on opening night.  We lost only a
few people the night I was there but the audience also had quite a few
children in attendance, some quite young, and I have to wonder if this is a
really good opera to take a child to?)