Subject: Peter Grimes
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 18:14:20 -0500

Just saw Peter Grimes and must say I have mixed feelings about it.

The staging / directing was simple, direct, and appropriate, the acting committed and the singing was fine. From a general perspective, everything fell into place and the piece was, I think, well presented.

I don’t know if I liked it.  The composition itself had moments of stirring intensity and was certainly evocative, but I also found parts that grated.

My companion and I both found the libretto awkward at moments and somewhat rambling, uneven, and unbalanced.

And finally—and of course, this is a personal thing—I hated that Peter never had a chance, that even the idea that he and Ellen had a future together was doomed.  From start to finish, it has to be the most unforgivingly tragic-laden opera I’ve experienced, really a condemnation of society writ large without a single saving grace, since in the end even Ellen turned away from Peter.

I guess I loved some of the music, disliked the story construction, and hated the bleakness.

What did I miss?

Modify your settings: