Subject: Re: Early Gwyneth Jones
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 14:04:52 -0800

My recollection is that 1970 is right about when more serious problems started to surface, specifically in some of her performances of Kundry in Bayreuth that summer.

I had heard that she’d suffered a miscarriage around that time which affected her mentally and physically. She (probably too soon) started singing immediately again and was a bit “what the hell?” in how she threw herself back into performing.

I believe she was later able to be a mom.

I met her in a shop near SF Union Square, where both she and my ex-wife were shopping for sewing accessories. There was something about her. A real glow, a very gracious and positive energy.

Some singers can look very unglamorous when they’re not on stage. Christa Ludwig - total Hausfrau offstage suddenly looking “like a million bucks” as they used to say, with wig and makeup as Dalilah. Berit Lindolm, little squished together face dwarfed by thick glasses, transformed into svelte, beautiful Brünnhilde and Isolde.

Not Jones. Even simply dressed shopping for thread and fabric, she looked stunning. I remember her husband also being very handsome.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone