Subject: Re: Sonia Yoncheva Verdi Arias CD
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 14:57:08 -0700

This is what happens when a beautiful lyric soprano decides the is destined
for heavy Verdi and Puccini.  I'm glad I only bought it on iTunes and
didn't waste the extra few bucks on the CD.  Some people say she is
sounding like Callas, and to my opinion, not in a good way.  The flapping
that I was beginning to hear from the first Tosca evidently isn't an
isolated event.  Lets hope she can get herself back to her lyric soprano
roots before its too late.  A singer who does from an ina and ana like
Netrebko to a Lady Macbeth, Aida and Maddalena is very, very rare.  Even
with Netrebko, I'm not convinced she would be a Gioconda.  Generally voices
do not stray that far from where they were when they first emerged on the
scene.