Subject: Re: Lotte Schone
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2018 04:51:12 -0500

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 01:14:51 -0500, Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
>Indeed, my comment needs some clarification.
>I can't say how much they knew about genocides but they must have noticed
>that their Jewish and other colleagues were massively disappearing while
>others, who were racially acceptable to the regime, were taking their jobs.
>On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 11:58 PM, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I don’t feel so sure about Schwarzkopf or Karajan. I think there’s
>> reasonable evidence to support the notion that joining the Nazi party to
>> stay employed was much like some jobs requiring you join a union. I don’t
>> at all assume that every performer who joined the party for employment
>> purposes was aware of the genocide horrors.
>> Max Paley

Max. They all knew what was going on! Go to Bayreuth and look at the historical
tablet representation of that period. It's in the garden. There was massive
disruptions of talent which nobody could not notice. They could pretend but they
all knew. Karl Boehm lived in a large apartment in Vienna his entire life. He was
given the apartment as a gift by the City of Vienna, who found that in the 1930s
there was a large number of luxury apartments suddenly abandoned and empty.
Now, if you were Boehm, you could assume that your apartment was "forgotten"
by some mega rich, but Boehm knew what was going on. He was in contact with
colleagues. Elizabeth Swartzkopf knew what was going on but her early career was
flourishing during that period and she jumped at the chance to perform at a
celebratory concert for invading German troops in the Palais Garnier. Many forgot
this "indiscretion" but the French didn't. To miss what was happening, you had to
deliberately "look the other way" and make compromises each day.

Max, we are not just talking about being aware of "genocide." Imagine you are a
history teacher in a public school during that period. A new textbook arrives which
has totally rewritten German history. You are in your 50s and support a family. You
can take a principled approach and refuse to teach outright falsehoods and take a
job as a store clerk but would that pay the mortgage, etc.? Many trades, including
law, etc. etc. were importantly affected and ideological compromise was the order
of the day.

Max, you should watch "The Nasty Girl" which is on Netflix, a true story about a
German high school student who was given an assignment by her history teacher
to write about any period she wanted. She started investigating the story of her
small town during the Nazi period and was daily in the local archives. Suddenly one
day she was barred from the archives by the city council. The authorities preferred
that past history to be about "genocide" somewhere else. They did not want to be
forced to remember details of who did what during that period. It was a small town
and everybody knew everybody and the Nazi past was best forgotten: somebody's
father was the Gauleiter, those photos of everyone doing "Sieg Heil" salutes,
somebody given property of a Jew, etc. She was subject to hostile threats and
forced to leave town.

Everyone knew.

Frank Cadenhead

Modify your settings: