Subject: Re: How do you discover any music composed by Conductors not known for composing?
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 10:32:57 -0500

I first heard Symphony No 3 in a broadcast tape by Maazel and
the Berlin Pfilharmonic, and was quite taken with it and its
reminiscences of the Tschaikowsky 6th..  There are also cds
off Furtwangler's Piano Concerto and of a Quintet for piano
and strings.

Koussevitsky composed a bit as well, for the double bass, but my
favorite "composition" of his was the stupendous arrangement he
made of FAIR HARVARD, the mawkish collegiate hymn set to the
tune of "Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms"  Legend
has it, that after the live performance of ST. MATTHEW PASSION
given on Good Friday of 1937, RCA decided as long as the Harvard
Glee Club, the Radcliffe Choral Society, and the Boston Symphony
Orchestra were still assembled in Symphony Hall, why, not record the
maestro's extravagant version and make a neat little ten incher of
it?  The result IMO, was one of the most awesome things ever
committed to disc.  It has to be heard to be believed, and should
have been one of the first things to mention in the recent "non-opera
favorites".   No, it is not on Youtube as far as I can tell.

dtmk

dtmk