Subject: Re: How do you discover any music composed by Conductors not known for composing?
From: Anthony Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Mar 2018 09:13:03 -0500

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 4:33 AM, David Wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Furtwangler wrote a symphony or two that were recorded by DG.

Of Furtwaengler's three symphonies, I think only the second was recorded
for DG, although I may be wrong.  In any case, that version suffers (on
"The Originals" release) from poor sound.  I thought that I had heard that
the original tapes had deteriorated, but I'm not sure of my source; the
sound on the original release was apparently murky as well.  Furtwaengler's
comfort with his own score grew (he later disparaged the DG studio
recording), and his live performance with the Vienna Philharmonic on Orfeo
(C 375 941 B) is to be preferred to the studio effort.  Not only is the
performance more effective, but the sound is quite good mono.  Barenboim
recorded it in 2001 with the Chicago Symphony for Teldec (0927 43495 2),
and it is a work that benefits from a stereophonic perspective.  As
Honegger said, "The man who wrote a score as rich as his *Second Symphony*
cannot be discussed.  He is of the race of great musicians, and his death
is a severe loss for the art of music" (*Furtwaengler Recalled*, 44).

"Elisabeth Furtwaengler said that her husband was never nervous before a
concert except when it included his own music.  Once after conducting the
Second Symphony, Furtwaengler said to her, 'When I perform my own works, I
feel like a sixteen-year-old girl who has to strip in front of a dirty old
man.'"  (John Ardoin,* The Furtwaengler Record*, 279-80)

Modify your settings: