Subject: Re: Speedo?
From: Peter Hammond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Mar 2018 23:17:05 -0500

I was pretty sure I had heard this explained before, and I dug up an interview from NPR's Fresh Air in 2016 (https://www.npr.org/2016/09/20/494719495/sing-for-your-life-recounts-a-journey-from-juvenile-detention-to-the-opera-house). Terry Gross has been increasingly interested in opera in recent years, and I knew that if she had interviewed RSG she surely would have asked, and she did:

GROSS: So your middle name Speedo, Ryan Speedo Green, comes from your father. It was his middle name. He gave you the middle name of Speedo. How did he get the name?

GREEN: My father was apparently a very fast birth. And he gave me the name for not only that it was his middle name, but for - my father was a semi-professional body builder. And I was born on April Fool's Day so, you know, as a joke for April Fool's Day, he gave me that name Speedo as well. So that's why he got the name passed on to me.

GROSS: Does it have anything to do with speedos, with...

GREEN: Oh, yeah.

GROSS: ...With the brief, yeah?

(LAUGHTER)

GREEN: Because that was my dad's favorite underwear that he liked to wear when he was lifting, so, yes.