Subject: Re: Flagstad
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Mar 2018 15:13:34 -0800

You’d like the Biancollli book.

Part of the book is a very straightforward and not overly polished “as told to” of Flagstad recounting her life up to the point where the initial book was written (I think in 1940 or 41). The project was interrupted by Flagstad’s return to Norway and picks up with a fairly hair-raising (if anything, enphasized by Flagstad’s basic stoicism) account of her husband’s death and her treatment by an unbelievably malicious prosecutor, as well as other negative reaction she received on returning to the US.

The other part of the book is a selection of reviews of her performances. Much more detail and a much more gracious literary style than what one encounters today.

Aside from the intriguing comments on her vocal development, she comes across as an extremely decent person.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone