Subject: Sutherland's 'D'Oreste, d'Aiace'
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Mar 2018 17:58:02 -0500

I hate to keep boring the List with things newly and enthusiastically found
on YouTube, but the clip of Sutherland in the great aria from 'Idomeneo' was
truly a stunner to me.  It is quite late (1979), and displays all the things
people missed in her while still in awe of her vocalism as vocalism.  She is
a woman possessed in this piece (as she was not, I don't think, in 'Norma'),
the diction is forward and clear, the 'accenti' fierce, there is real chest
voice, and of course there is that huge sound executing the 'staccati'
flawlessly.  Only her husband would have let her sing the final high note,
but it is thrilling (even Baehrens raised the ante-penultimate note a half
tone, which I think musically is what you want to hear at the end).

Is there anything interesting to be known about these performances or hints
as to why so late in the day she decided to go all Callas on her audience?

David Kubiak