Subject: Re: Semiramide
From: Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:07:35 -0500

I only know Morrell slightly from his assistant days in Cleveland, but I’m not sure he could be worse than Benini. Clean and clear, but otherwise like a wet blanket over the whole thing. No bite anywhere, and inclined to be slow unless the principals inspired him to pick it up. The big ensembles were kinda deathly. Morrell at least has a heavy choral background.

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 7:14 PM, Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Maurizio Benini cancelled both performances without explanation, and an
> efficient Gareth Morell took over.  I had to laugh at what the MET usher
> told me when I saw the "change" announcement sticking out of the program -
> "Don't worry, its only the conductor..."  So much for Rossini's Overture,
> not to mention the brilliance of his orchestrations throughout

Modify your settings: