Subject: Renee Fleming at The Shed
From: Christopher Weimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Mar 2018 23:37:06 -0500

From the New York Times:

"The ambitious, genre-melding performances will begin in the spring of 2019,
and include a musical series conceived by Steve McQueen and Quincy Jones and
a collaboration between the poet Anne Carson, the actor Ben Whishaw and the
opera singer Renée Fleming.
"A newly commissioned piece by Ms. Carson entitled “Norma Jeane Baker of
Troy,” based on Euripides’ “Helen,” will be shown in the venue’s more
intimate theater space. (The play draws a line between Helen and Marilyn
Monroe, who was baptized as Norma Jeane Baker.)
"'I asked Ann,"Would you ever consider writing a dramatic monologue for a
performer?"’ Mr. Poots recalled. “Within six to nine months, she sent me the
first draft and said: ‘I’ve written this for Ben Whishaw. And he’ll do it.’”
Mr. Whishaw will perform it with Ms. Fleming."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/arts/design/the-shed-season-steve-mcqueen-and-quincy-jones.html

Christopher Weimer