Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2018 13:58:15 -0700

Personally, I prefer Leider to them all, with the possible exception of
Lubin who had a glorious femininity.  Leider had a warmth that Melchior
noted.  He preferred her to Flagstad.  Her career was also cut short as she
was forbidden to be on stage after 1938/39 as she refused to abandon her
Jewish violinist husband.  She sent him off to exile in Switzerland and
remained in Germany to care for her elderly mother.  Flagstad vocally is of
course supreme.  I would however add one other soprano to this select
list.  Despite the lack of an International career, a late start and
somewhat early exit, vocally, Helen Traubel, even within the limits of her
top (something she shared with most voices of her type - even Flagstad
after a certain point) was the equal of the others.  She deserves far more
credit then she is given today.  Leider was also so versatile.  A
magnificent Verdi singer and of course, she left that beautiful recording
of Gluck's Ah si la liberte from Armide.  Traubel had desires beyond
Wagner, but Johnson needed  her as Brunnhilde and Isolde and at the Met in
those days, versatility wasn't always rewarded or encouraged.

Donald