Subject: Hina Spani
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Mar 2018 18:05:16 -0500

Here’s something you may not know. She was allowed to go into the library of the Vatican and that is where she found the scores of the old Italian arias that she recorded with chamber orchestra. Among the Se Florindo e fedele. And I don’t know how much attention you paid to her recording of Amarilli, mia bella.  It is absolutely wonderful. He phrasing, and her breaths, the way she creates the line is absolutely fantastic. I see that in one of the reviews I read, her pianist was Castelnuovo-Tedesco, so they must have been on good terms. And of course she sang for Ernst Bloch. Very interesting time sin Italy.

And I am pretty sure I told you that once for the hell of it I listened to every version of the Trovatore arias I could find, and I cam to the conclusion that Callas listened to her, because only two people of all of them had that phrasing. But here is another thought - since Spani sang with Serafin, he may have coached Callas and Spani both.

I did talk to Marston about doing Spani’s recordings, and he just said there were so many and he couldn’t do them all. True enough. He did say he would soon be getting around to Jean Baptiste Faure, a person whose voice I would very much like to hear.

RP